Friday, November 25, 2005

RugNotes: Court rules in favor of The Tanavoli Museum

"Court rules in favor of The Tanavoli Museum

Court rules in favor of Tanavoli: "Tehran: 17:04 , 2005/07/03 Print version Email this to a friend

Court rules in favor of Tanavoli
TEHRAN, July 3 (MNA) -- The Tehran Administrative Court of Justice recently ruled that the house of contemporary sculptor Parviz Tanavoli is a residential house and not a garden.
“I am happy to hear such news,” Tanavoli said on Sunday.

In 2004, the Tehran City Council had declared that the house was a garden and could not be converted into a museum.

Tanavoli said that the city council wanted to close the museum and that is why they had made the ruling.

“Several times I asked the chairman of the city council to visit the museum, which was called the Tanavoli Museum, but he refused all the invitations and never paid a visit to the museum.

“I believe no external factor was a threat to the trees of the house. My wife and I built the house and planted the trees and are taking care of them like our children. But now their fate is unknown, and I wonder what will happen to them after my death. I am afraid they will demolish the house some day and build a huge building in its place.”

The Tanavoli Museum opened in May 2003, but the Tehran City Council ordered it closed the next year due to alleged zoning violations.""

No comments: